These little things are what dessert dreams are made of: sweet, pillowy-soft and the tiniest bit tart.
Although the instructions may look a bit daunting, don’t worry! There are many components to this recipe but they come together rather easily. And the result is well worth the effort.
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, strained (about 2.5 lemons)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, cubed and softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, to taste
- For the lemon cream:Create a double boiler. Fill a saucepan with about two inches of water. Heat to a simmer
- In a stainless steel bowl, combine the lemon juice, 3 whole eggs, 1 yolk and granulated sugar.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk until the cream becomes thick (about 10 minutes)
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and let cool for a couple of minutes. Add the butter and vanilla and whisk until mixture is smooth and butter is melted
- Store in the fridge. The cream will thicken as it cools
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat water and 1/2 cup butter to a rolling boil. Add flour and stir until mixture forms a ball
- Remove from heat and place in hand or stand mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until mixture is smooth
- On two (very lightly) greased baking sheets, scoop 12 (2 tablespoon sized) portions onto each sheet. Bake cream puffs for 16-20 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Slice puffs in half and remove the fluffy dough inside. Set puffs aside.
- Place a clean stand or hand mixer bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
- Remove bowl from freezer and pour in whipping cream, creme fraiche, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Whip until desired consistency is achieved
- To assemble: fill puffs with lemon cream followed by the creme fraiche. Place the tops of the puffs back on the bottoms. Dust filled cream puffs with powdered sugar
Lemon cream adapted from here